Decisions, decisions. The problem with open water crossings is that sometimes you have to make a call on whether to commit yourself when the weather could frankly go either way. Yesterday the forecast was for F4/5 and occasionally F6. It was due to be coming in from the NE and backing to N later in the day.
We were setting off from Maidens (just north of Turnberry golf course) and would hear NW towards Holy Island just off the south east corner of Arran. This would mean us hopefully counteracting the effects of the wind and arriving at the Seashore Campsite near Kildonan.
We hoped the winds would stay around 4/5. Well they did for the first 4 miles of the 14 mile crossing. And then they strengthened more 5 than 4 and gusting for long periods at 6. The winds had also shifted round more northerly meaning rather than hitting us on the side, they were more head on.
Still we made good progress. Looking over at Geoff he was now disappearing out of view every few seconds and we both descended into troughs between swells. The odd large set that came in demanded more attention and the occasional brace to prevent capsize.
We discovered later that we had both ‘had a word’ with ourselves to keep the nerves under control and convince ourselves we could handle the conditions. Which of course we did.
The navy destroyer and sea container ship that we had to wait for before we made the final push to Arran just added to the excitement of the day.
Not the longest crossing by any stretch but one of the more ’emotional’ ones as Mike would have said.
Still, great campsite and bar right on the coast and today we are off to Mull of Kintyre – tomorrow we will be heading north again. Hooray!
Thanks to Sarah Cowan and Catherine McNeil who made a generous donation to our charities in the bar last night!